Tags

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Renounce Malaysia Citizenship (2017-2018) Part 1

Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty

24 September 2017  
Around 24 September 2017, which is my 21st birthday, I received a letter from Immigration &  Checkpoints Authority (ICA). The letter which is about Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty. 

In my case, I am born in Singapore but not as Singaporean as my parents was Malaysian/Singapore PR at that point of time. I have been living in Singapore ever since I was born. We taken citizenship in 2009, and in the citizenship certificate did noted that I have to take Oath between 24/09/2017 and 23/09/2018. 

Hence, I will need to renounce my Malaysian Citizenship. The letter indicated that after I have renounce my Malaysia Citizenship, then I can take the Oath at ICA building 6th floor. The ICA letter also have an attached Oath form which is important to bring to ICA. 

First Page of the ICA Oath Letter
Second Page of the ICA Oath Letter




So as a first time seeing this kind of thing, I have not idea what to do. Hence I was a few week late in going High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore.

I followed this ->guide <- which helps me a lot. 

I advised you to go to Malaysia High Commission of Singapore as soon as possible as you received the letter from ICA. This process can takes around 10 months for me .. (I will explain this later on) 

Documents to bring to Malaysia High Commission of Singapore 

The links are all from High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore website: here 

1. Your Borang K (Yellow form) - 2 sets
This is how the Borang K page 1 looks like.

This is how Borang K page 2 looks like. 

  • Don't worry if you cant read Malay, there is translation of the form is here , you can refer to it while filling them up. This form is for you to download to fill beforehand, when you arrived there, you still have to fill it up again in the actual yellow Borang K form.
2. Form (MY-RN1) - 1 original

This is MY-RN1 form.
If you are born in Singapore, write your IC number at Malaysia/Singapore Birth Certificate Column.
3. Letter of Approval from ICA Singapore - Original & 2 photocopies 



4. Malaysian I.C/ Temporary Malaysian I.C - Original & 2 photocopies
--> In my case, I have already surrender my Malaysia IC when we obtained Singapore Citizenship, hence I bring my photocopies of my Malaysia IC. 

5.  Singapore Pink I.C/ National Service I.C & Singapore PR I.C  - Original & 2 photocopies
--> in my case, I already gotten my Pink IC so I'm just bringing it . Front and back of IC also needed.    

6. Malaysian / Singapore/ Foreign Birth Certificate  - Original & 2 photocopies    
--> I have both hence I need to bring both originals and 2 photocopies each. 

7. Bring SGD: $10 cash (SGD $5 for Renunciation and SGD $5 for Certify True Copy)

8. Bring your Singapore Passport - Original & 2 photocopies
-> I was so blur and I forgotten to bring my passport, and ends up asking siblings to scan/take picture of my passport then I email them the photo. 

9. Bring 3 recent passport size photograph 
-> I forget to bring since I thought I don't need it as I already have a Singapore IC and passport and I ended up taking passport size photo at the photo booth in High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore.  

10. Bring your Citizenship Certificate -Original & 2 photocopies
-> This includes the back of your Citizenship certificate too. 

11.  Bring this SURRENDER OF MALAYSIAN DOCUMENTS - Bring two photocopies 
-> Because we follow our parents to convert from Malaysian to Singaporean before we are 21st years old hence when we turn 21st years old, we need to provide this letter to our respective embassy, in this case is High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore. 

If you wonder why I have this 'Malaysia Identity Card No', this is due to after I obtained my Malaysian IC, shortwhile after , we obtained Singapore Citizenship. 


For more information on what to bring , check the official website for more information on renunciation of Malaysian Citizenship.  




Procedures : credit to Kevin.  
(I slightly edit some of his procedures..)

1. Bring extra card with your identification ( like student ez-link card ) to exchange for pass at security guard. They will ask for your purpose of your visit, you can answer that you are renouncing Malaysia citizenship. 

2. Walk to towards Consular section and queue outside the door. There's a officer sitting on a table near the door, pass your documents to them to verify. After verifying, they will pass you a yellow form K to complete.(it is a yellow paper version of Borang K that you downloaded and completed beforehand).

Please bring your own black pen , you can go to nearby tables and sit down to fill up the forms. There will be a lot people crowding at the small area so it is recommended to bring your own black pen.
3. After completion of the yellow form K, go back to the same officer . When everything is correct, they will ask you to sign the form and bring an ink pad out to ask for your thumbprint on the form.  Upon completion, they will give you a queue number to submit your documents. 

4. Once your number is called, hand over the documents. The officer will ask you to wait again for your number to be called for payment. It cost SGD $10 and please bring exact amount. Then they will give you a pink collection slip to collect your documents after 3 working days between 2:30pm to 4pm.










7 comments:

  1. I went to the High Commission around 10am and everything was completed before 11am. The officer near the entrance at the Consular will pass you the MY-RN1 form (the white form) which I filled with my own black pen. Then I showed it to the officer who handed me two Borang K (the yellow form). He asked me to fill up using the embassy's pen. He also instructed me to fill the address section using my Singapore residential address.
    Then I print out a queue number and a short while later, submitted all the forms and document. Very sad to part with my Birth Certificate and MyKad. Not so sad for my Passport because I still have my old expired passports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Calvin, May i know the letter of prroval from ICA is it the letter we download from ICA website? do you receive any hard copy by mail? i am abit confusing, thanks to advise !

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. May i know the letter of prroval from ICA is it the letter we download from ICA website? do you receive any hard copy by mail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience as of Sept2020, No hard copy sent to residential address. I emailed ICA and got that reply. The High Commission will accept a home printed copy of the ICA letter as proof of 'original ICA letter'. Also during this time of Covid-19, you have to email the High Comm for an appointment for renunciation. Before they fix the appointment (30 days into the future) they ask to see the ICA letter so download and send it to them.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the form filling of Borang K, you are given a photocopy to practice on. The very nice and helpful document checker will ensure everything is correct before he lets you fill in the actual Yellow Borang K. BUT there is no practice form for page 2 of Borang K. One very important thing is that you only WRITE your name on page 2 of Borang K, the place for signature is for the consular staff to sign and confirm your identity. Do not sign Page 2 of Borang K, some guy did it, waited his turn to get to the counter, got knocked back to redo the forms and that resulted in everyone in the room waiting longer while he got that sorted out with the counter staff.

    ReplyDelete